Building a Dock in Muskoka
Docks & Swim Rafts in Muskoka
Dock projects that generally DO NOT require a work permit:
- Docks and boathouses supported by posts, stilts, poles or floats
- Boathouses not located on shore lands
- Docks and/or boathouses where the total footprint of the crib(s) or other supporting structures to be constructed or placed on the bed of the water body does not exceed 15 sq. metres
- Any combination of the above (i.e. a post dock and a crib dock occupying 15 sq. metres or less of the bed)
- Boat lifts and marine railways where the occupied area of the bed of the water body is less than 15 sq. metres
- Removal of an old dock or boathouse, except where rock filled cribs are to be removed and would be considered dredging.
Dock and boathouse projects that DO require a work permit:
- Any docks and/or boathouses where the total footprint of cribs or other supporting structures to be constructed or placed on the bed of the water body exceeds 15 square meters
- Ministry of Natural Resources approval is now required from anyone wanting to build, replace or expand a dock on or above more than 15 square metres of shoreline (161 square feet). The same new rules also apply for single-storey boathouses.
- If you adding to an existing system or constructing a new dock you will probably, depending on the township, an approved building permit.
- If the area you want to place the dock is Environmentally Protected or is a fish habitat area restrictions may be in place. Contact the Departrment of Fisheries and Oceans for current guidelines.
Local Dock Manufacturers & Installers
We cover a large area from Kahshe Lake to South River & across to Parry Sound so if you're frustrated looking for a reliable contractor for your dock system just give us a call and we would be happy to recommend one.
For now, here's a few of our go-to companies....
- Ahmic Marine & Maintenance - Magnetawan Area ( Ahmic Lake, Lake Cecebe, Neighick Lake etc.)
- Kropf Industrial - Parry Sound ( Georgian Bay, Otter Lake, Whitefish Lake etc.)
- Dock Depot - Bracebridge ( Lake Joseph, Lake Muskoka, Lake Rosseau etc )
- Innovative Dock Designs - Gravenhurst ( Kahshe, Lake Muskoka, Severn etc.)
Looking at purchasing a cottage in the Muskoka area?